Like most people, I have my “go to dishes” that I like to make when hosting or bringing something to a party or potluck. For my holiday get together this past weekend, I wanted to try something different. I did some brainstorming and went to my clever friend, Pinterest, for some inspiration. I looked at various photos and came up with my own variation for this crispy salad bite.
Makes 25-35 skewers
- Iceberg lettuce (I bought two but only used 3/4 of one for 25 bites)
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1 package bacon
- Bleu cheese dressing
- Bleu cheese crumbles
- French fried onion
- Cracked pepper
- Small skewers (a little longer than regular toothpicks)
These were super easy, but came out looking a little different than I envisioned (still tasted amazing!)
- Cook bacon right before if you want it warm, or earlier in the day to save on time. Cut into one inch-ish pieces.
- Wash and cut up your wedge into “mini wedges.” The lettuce will fall apart. Don’t worry too much about it. Once you stab it with your skewer you will be good to go!
- Take your skewer and add a bit of lettuce (about 1.5 x 1.5 inch size, a few layers), a piece of bacon and a tomato. You will find they kind of “prop up” nicely. Repeat until you have reached desired number.
- Spoon a bit of bleu cheese dressing on each bite and then sprinkle crumble(s) of bleu cheese and small bit of fried onion on top.
- The crumbles and onion will stick from the bleu cheese dressing. Don’t go overboard on the onion will get soggy!
- Top with fresh cracked pepper and be ready to wow your guests!