I checked the forecast last week and saw that there was ONE day of rain on the way. I don’t think it has rained here in San Diego about 4 months and I was kind of looking forward to it. I thought it would be perfect to put something in the crock pot to come home to. I have been adding recipes to my Pinterest board but was having trouble deciding. One of my old friends from high school, Alehson, had put something about this soup on Facebook so I decided to message her. Lucky for me she responded right away and told me how delicious it is. I always check the “reviews” on recipes because something may look good but you never know. Of course it is always good to get the recipe from your friend OR favorite blogger 🙂 Thanks again, Alehson!
The recipe comes from Heather Likes Food (link below). She also has some great other recipes so check it out! I will say, I followed this pretty much exactly. I did leave out the lime though because I save those for my cocktails 🙂 I also left off the avocado, but added light sour cream, low fat cheese and a sprinkle of tortilla salad topper strips (found by the croutons at the store) before consuming.
- 1 can (15oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained
- 10 oz frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, avocado for serving
- Combine all ingredients except for the cilantro and lime juice in a slow-cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup, shred into bite-sized pieces and return to soup.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, and avocado if desired.
Enjoy this soup! I know I did.